Pages

Thursday, January 6, 2011

The College 90 - This is how it started

People talk about the "freshman 15" all the time but no-one told me that I could potentially double my weight by staying in school. Of course, not everyone does. I came to the U.S. in October 2003. At the time, I weighted 135 lbs. and had a borderline healthy 24.7 BMI. Interestingly though, in Venezuela where I am from, I was overweight... now I know that I wasn't.

I started school in January 2004. Three years later, I graduated. By December 2006, I had managed to graduate with honors and with 45 more lbs. In January 2007, I started grad school at 180 lbs and an obese BMI of 32.9. I couldn't believe it and I have the clothes to prove it. I hope it's been a good thing that I hung on to my old clothes. I have pants that show what I did to myself sizes 6 all the way to 18 where I stand now. I can't believe I did this to myself. In May 2009 I graduated with my master's at a whopper 196 lbs and yet a larger BMI of 35.8. On December 21, 2010 I weighted at my highest: 223.4 lbs and a BMI of 40.9. Disgusting... simply disgusting. And that's in a nutshell how my freshman 15 have really been the College 90.

This blog is about my struggle to return to a time when I had a normal BMI, and most of all... a LIFE!
School can be pretty crazy at times and it is easy to forget to take care of oneself. So here's to that!

By the way... I am still in school. I am currently on my second semester of my second year on a Ph.D. program and I hope that this blog will serve as both catharsis and accountability. I will share my recipes, my exercise (if I did any), my experiences teaching, learning, and researching... and well, my life as I live it. I don't plan for this blog to be eternal; but an account of my journey for as long as it takes me.

I suppose I should be honest with you and my weight should not be a secret to anyone. I must admit that as I write this I can feel blood rushing to my face in embarrassment of what I am about to disclose... but since that is the point of the blog then enough with the fear and on with the honesty.

I am 5'2'' tall
33 years of age
212 lbs (as of 01/04/2011)
BMI: 39
Goal 1: To abandon the 200 lbs and to never see them again.

1 comment:

  1. Just stopping by :) I'm from the Ultimate New Year Resolution comp (Ryash22). I will be checking in and following your blog. We can do this!!!! You are already down 11.4 lbs since Dec 21st! That is FANTASTIC!

    ReplyDelete